Wednesday, November 21

Illustration Friday : Superstition


In Japan the numbers 4 and 9 are considered unlucky because they sound similiar to the words for death and suffering.
In hospitals they apparently sometimes don't have the 4th floor or 9th floor (like in over in the West they often miss out the 13th floor). I've never been to hospital in Japan so I can't confirm this...

Anyway, I've always been a little scared of the numbers 4 and 9 (4 is more scary because in parts of China they too avoid it too).

You have to be careful not to send someone a bunch of flowers containing 4 roses, for example. It's easy when you're in Japan because the shops would not supply 4 only, but no one knows about it in England, so I have to be on the look out. Not that my English friends care... I know it's just a superstition, but I still feel I have to be careful.

When I discovered that 13 and 666 are unlucky over here I was a bit older so was not so concerned. But 4 and 9 have haunted me since I was very little...

5 Comments:

Blogger Ellen Byrne said...

Fascinating numbers superstition! Love your rendering - very nice!

12:37 pm  
Blogger Vhrsti said...

Cool!

3:14 pm  
Blogger PaMdora said...

Love your concept and execution! I'd like to illustrate kid's books too, and I think we have some of the same attraction to patterns. Good Luck!

7:23 pm  
Blogger Kay Aker said...

I've never seen numbers look so sinister and menacing and at the same time funny and cute! What a fascinating superstition.

6:00 am  
Blogger sheree boyd said...

that is so funny --- i like the teeth on #9!

hope you dont mind Kumiko but i tagged you to list 5 random things about yourself :)

5:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home